Being on the internet is just like being in public, so the same safety rules should apply. For instance:
- Keep your identity private. NEVER give personal information like your address, phone number, or last name. In short, do not post what you would not want to share with everyone you know.
- Only open emails from people you know.
- Keep online meetings online. It is not a good idea to meet up with anyone you met online first.
- Respect the rights of others online. If you feel like someone is not being respectful to you, save the information and report it to a trusted adult.
- If you ever feel uncomfortable about something that happens online, talk to someone.
For more information and resources, check out netsmartz.org.